This is where we post about life and sometimes are enjoying life too much to post.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

DC/NY Trip


I realize this post is a whole year late, but atleast it is in the same month that we took the trip. I will comfort myself with that and move on.
We saw sooo many things that it is hard for me to mention all of them, but I do want to have a writtten list of all the places we went. Thanks to my roommate, Julie Summers for taking such great notes!


Monday, June 14th we flew into Baltimore.


Tuesday:
WWII Memorial
Old Post Office (lunch)
White House/Smithsonian Museums
National Archives (We saw the original Constitution and other Documents)
Union Station (dinner)
Vietnam Wall (We saw lots of fireflies on the grass.)
Lincoln Memorial
Korean Memorial
Jefferson Memorial


Wednesday:
White House (We got there really early to stand in line.)
FDR Memorial (I Hate War, stones)
Arlington
Iwo Jima Memorial
Lunch at the mall
Mount Vernon (My FAVORITE)
Chevys (dinner)
Alexandria Walking Tour (I missed some because of huge blisters between my toes.)


Thursday:
Capital Building
Drive to NYC
Schnippers on 41st and 8th (dinner)
Empire State Building (watched the sunset from uptop, and saw first sight of Statue of Liberty)


Friday:
Tour of NYC from North to South
Bull in front of Financial District
Stock Exchange/Wall Street
Federal Hall (where George Washington gave his inaugeral address and Martin L King speech)
World Trade Center site
St. Pauls Church (benches where firefighters slept)
Greenwich Village (lunch)
John Lennon's Apartment Building (assassinated in front of it)
Central Park
MET (museum)
Dinner at Palace
Times Square
Phantom of the Opera


Saturday:
Ferry to Liberty Island
Ellis Island
Battery Park
Newark Airport to fly home.
I still can't believe we saw all of these places!
These are my favorite pictures.



Jared and Kali in front of the Statue of Liberty.
Seeing Lady Liberty was one of my many life goals.
It was so awesome to see.

I LOVE this picture of Lady Liberty.


This picture was taken in Central Park off a bridge.
Central Park is a beautiful oasis in the midst of a crazy city life.


This is the bench in the church that the firefighters rested on after Sept. 11, 2001.
You can see the scrapes from their boots .


Jared, Kali, and Me on top of the Empire State Building
We watched the sun set from up there. It was beautiful!


This BULL stands in an island in the Financial District.
Another interesting story.


Most of our group in front of the US Capital.


This is "Freedom". He/she stands atop of the US Capital. This is a replica that is inside the building.



This is inside the US Capital Building, the circle in the middle was to be the "catacomb" for President George Washington. It was built so that when he died his body would be put here. It isn't there though, because the family chose for him to be burried at Mt. Vernon.



This is Arlington Cemetary. It was a beautiful place and very very big. There is a lot of history to this place that I found so intriguing. I'd love to learn more.
Kali and Jared "holding up" the Washington Monument. That is as close as we got to it, which really wasn't very close at all. You could see this monument from everywhere. There is a lot of historical information about this monument.



This is the White House taken from between the metal gate that surrounds it.




This tree is one of many that George Washington planted at his house. This is the view from his back porch at Mount Vernon. The view hasn't changed much since his time. I loved the feeling at Mount Vernon. There is a special spirit there.



The picture below is of a Magnolia on a tree. They were everywhere. The picture doesn't do it any justice. They were very large on some trees, some the size of a dinner plate.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I am glad you posted again. so what if it was a year ago. I love looking at your pictures of your trip. I can live vicariously through you.

D'Neill said...

Loved seeing the pictures! I CANNOT believe it's been a year since you took that trip. That makes me hopeful this year will go by FAST! :)